A few summers ago, I read John Eldredge's book "Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul". Despite a title which may scare a few men who might not want to know anything more of the mystery that is merely women, this book was probably one of the best I have ever read. What struck me so deeply about "Captivating" was how honestly and accurately the author portrayed the deep wounds that lie within every woman, wounds dating back to The Fall when Eve, our misguided first woman, sinned and therefore tainted her wonderful relationship with the Lord. Before reading this book, I always thought about this story as if it were a fairy tale. Of course I cursed Eve for causing such horrible things to happen to women as, for instance, the pain of childbirth. I have not experienced this yet, but from what I have heard, that kind of pain is definitely fallout from The Fall! But "Captivating" revealed to me that Eve's slip-up is in every single way the same as my own failure to follow God and devote myself, my life to Him and Him alone. In the wake of reading this book, I wrote a poem, from Eve's voice or point of view. Though her lament, her despair may seem far removed from our own lives, listen closely for the ways in which her story, her circumstance, are so closely linked to your own.
Eve
By Cara Parliament
I live in the dark valleys
of the shadows of my soul.
wounded by the past,
afraid I am un-whole.
My heart holds the pain
of a distant memory;
one where I am beautiful,
the life you meant for me.
Now I am left searching
for the life I used to hold.
But scarred by the journey,
I am left bitter, hurt, and cold.
You promise me forgiveness
and the life I so desire.
Only You can make me lovely
and raise me from the mire.
I long for love and meaning;
Only You can understand.
yearning for your healing touch
I stretch out to grab your hand.
But just as I am in reach
of The Father’s tender grasp,
I am bombarded with lies again,
echoes of the past.
Shrinking back in fear,
trembling as I cower,
Oh when will I realize that
my beauty lies in Your power!
I live in the dark valleys
of the shadows of my soul
wounded by the past,
afraid I am un-whole.
1 comment:
Cara, that is a beautiful poem. It really captures the struggles that I feel and like you said all women. Please keep posting your poems!
Michaela
Post a Comment