Sunday, August 3, 2008

Something


I wrote this poem a few weeks ago as I pondered my own inability to be satisfied with my life. I feel that this is such a universal feeling, not unique to myself...that everyone longs for something more, even when we cannot figure out what more is. So without further ado, my first posted poem.

Something

Contentment.

We may define it, but can we really understand what it is.

Has one ever experienced it?

It’s funny to me…

How no one is ever truly satisfied with their life.

We trudge through each day with a sense that there must be something more,

Something better

And at the end of the day,

When we haven’t found that allusive something,

Disappointment and depression sink in,

Even when the thing that is missing has no name,

No form or figure to help discover it

No clear definition, no tangible quality.

And yet we long for something,

Something better

Something more,

Something that if found

Will deliver

Contentment.

CBP

No comments: